Monday, February 4, 2013

Really Old Old-School Artist Week Day 1:
Willy Pogany, The Tale of Lohengrin

I know it's been a while since I've done one my "Really Old Old-School Artist" posts. And after coming into a trove of new images, I've decided to do an entire week of posts, starting with artist Willy Pogany. I've done Pogany before way back in December 2011.

Today's selections come to us from Pogany's 1913 book The Tale of Lohengrin, the final book of a trilogy based on a selection of Wagner operas. The book is really ALL Pogany. It's page after page of drawings with some calligraphic text telling the tale.

Lohengrin is a character from Germanic Arthurian legend, the son of Parzival (Percival), and a knight of the Holy Grail. He is sent is a boat pulled by a swan to rescue a maiden who can never ask his identity. When she finally asks him his name, and he answers, the swan boat returns to take him away, never to be seen again.



No comments:

Post a Comment